Top Tips for Men: Online Dating
Dating 101: Dating Tips for Men Over 40. Duet Right!
- Figure out your top five deal makers and deal breakers (combined) before you start dating. This means that you know what these are before you even get on a dating site (if you choose to go that route). Yes, only five. This doesn’t mean other things aren’t also important; it means that you’re going to bypass anyone who doesn’t at least meet these basics.
My example: Honourable (this covers a lot), affectionate (hand-holding and PDAs, yes, please), makes me feel safe (emotionally, this covers a lot); attractive (to me);
fun (makes me laugh or laughs at me, isn’t too serious) no rug-rats (I suck at step-mom’ing and frankly don’t want to be inconvenienced by the priorities of child-rearing. Hey, at least I’m honest with myself and others.)
- Get to know your potential date at least a little by text and phone before you go on a date. You want to cover some of the basics—your top five deal makers/breakers at the very least. That way you can decide if you want to date a woman who “is not materialistic” (read: lacks motivation to improve her life standard, you will be paying for everything.)
My example: A man who “wants a natural girl who doesn’t wear scents: perfume, deodorant …” (I’ve worn Chanel parfum for, like, everrr.) Try to be conversational, not interrogational.
- If you’re meeting on the pretense of potential friendship because one of your top five (or other important qualities) makes a romantic relationship unrealistic, be sure your date knows this unequivocally before the date so she can decide if she is interested in just friendship. Don’t lead someone on. Bad dog.
My example: I had a great “friendship only date” with a guy who has young kids (totally a no-go zone for me) and lives outside of my preferred area—negotiable if not for the deal-breaker bit.
By the way, why would you go on a friendship only date? Because friends are good to have and you/they have other single friends. If your new friend is cool, their friends are cool, too. Set your ego aside.
- Um, telling a gal how many hotels you own is tacky. Or saying that you pay $7000 a month in rent. Cheesy! As in: Is that all you have to offer, dud(e)? Don’t complain about gold-diggers if you’re the one digging them up, stud.
- If you are looking for a potentially long-term relationship, don’t send selfies of you in your tighty-whiteys in the bathroom mirror and def definitely don’t send dick pics! I don’t care if you own Park Place, that’s tacky.
Worth repeating! Never send dick pics if you’re looking for long-term love!
Online Dating Takeaways
- Know what you want and don’t want when looking for love.
- Get to know her just enough to know better before you go on a date. #filter
- Don’t be a dick. No dick pics!
Dating 101: Dating Tips For Men Over 40 is from my own in-the-field real dating with ‘real’ men experiences and interviews with random women. If you have a dating or relationship question, please send me an email or ask in the comments below.
If you found this info helpful or even just amusing, please share … I’ll heart you forever!
p.s. If you want more of me (*wink*) go to men-u for services/prices/products.